selected blog image

Getting Czech tax residency certificate

How to get a Czech tax residency certificate and proof of tax residency?

A certificate of your Czech tax residency can help you avoid double taxation (having your income taxed twice). The application for proof of Czech tax residency should be lodged at your local tax office in the Czech Republic.
To be eligible, you must come from a country with which the Czech Republic has concluded a bilateral international double tax avoidance treaty*. Individuals and legal entities may both apply for the Czech tax residency certificate.

How to apply for a Czech tax residency certificate:

You can apply for a confirmation of your Czech tax residency in three ways:
  1. In person at the Tax office of your residency district.
  2. Through your databox electronically
  3. Through a representative who can do it for you based on a power of attorney.


  • Your application must be written in the Czech language.
  • The proof of the Czech tax residency may be issued for the date of your application form or another past date. It cannot be issued for a future date.
  • The confirmation can also be issued for a completed or partial tax period in the past. In the second case, you must specify the start and ending date, e.g. from 1.1.2020 to 1.4.2024.
  • You can apply using an application form from another country if that country only accepts applications that use its own form. The original form should be provided with a Czech translation.

Information needed to prove your Czech tax residency

Information about the source of your income in the Czech Republic: e.g. employment, a business, property rental, retirement funds
  • Personal details: marital status, details of any children and their residence in the Czech Republic
  • Proof of Czech residency, e.g. your residency permit or confirmation of your address (rent contract, property deed)
  • Work contract, trade licence, income tax reports, or other proof you have binding ties to the Czech Republic, e.g. the residency permit of your spouse/child or their rent contract


The country requiring the confirmation of your Czech tax residency might require the document to be super legalized or apostilled. If you had been employed previously and if you never did an employee tax return for previous years, the tax office might ask you to apply for an employee tax report also.

blog image

Czech tax residency assistance in Prague

Want to avoid the hassles of arranging your Czech tax residency certificate on your own in Prague?
We can take care of the entire process for you using the power of attorney. Get in touch with us to find out more.

*The Czech tax office issues one tax residency certificate for each year. For example, if you apply for a period of 4 years, you will get 4 Czech tax residency certificates. A Czech tax certificate is issued in 3 languages, Czech, German, and English.

Countries with which the Czech Republic currently has double-taxation agreements: -Albania -Armenia -Australia -Austria -Azerbaijan -Bahrain -Barbados -Belarus -Belgium -Bosnia and Herzegovina -Brazil -Bulgaria -Canada -China -Croatia -Cyprus -Denmark -Egypt -Estonia -Ethiopia -Finland -France -Georgia -Germany -Greece -Hong Kong -Hungary -Iceland -India -Indonesia -Ireland -Israel -Italy -Japan -Jordan -Kazakhstan -Korea -Kuwait -Latvia -Lebanon -Lithuania -Luxembourg - North Macedonia -Malaysia -Malta -Mexico -Moldova -Mongolia -Morocco -Netherlands -New Zealand -Nigeria -Norway -Panama -Philippines -Poland -Portugal -Romania -Russia -Saudi Arabia -Serbia -Montenegro -Singapore -Slovakia -Slovenia -South Africa -Spain -Sri Lanka -Sweden -Switzerland -Syria -Tajikistan -Thailand -Tunisia -Turkey -Ukraine -United Arab Emirates -United Kingdom -United States -Uzbekistan -Venezuela -Vietnam

Get professional support from Pexpats

Why not make your life easier? Pexpats handles anything and everything expats need: consultation services, fulfilling appointments, filing applications, visiting official offices and much more. Simply book a spot with one of our professional advisors to get started today.

Get assistance

Get in Touch

Please fill the form as accurate as possible, our team is ready to help you make your stay in the Czech Republic a breeze!

Select Your
Citizenship Status
PraguePexpats logo

google stars

“Take charge of your life and time. Use them!”

google stars

“Highly worth the money”

google stars

“I’d call it: Making complicated things easy”

google stars
google stars
google stars
google stars



Our client testimonials speak for themselves, with their success stories the driving force behind our vision of Pexpats.Scan the long list of satisfied clients ahead to see how Pexpats’ can assist.


The proof is in the stars! Join countless success stories of expats who we’ve helped to accurately and quickly file taxes, or to resolve complex legal issues.

  • proof
  • proof
  • proof
  • proof
  • proof

Got Lost?

Pexpats is here today and ready to ease you into life abroad. Find immediate assistance for your expat needs, from freelancing to reporting taxes and legal affairs.

Your own positive testimonial could soon grace our review page!