Permanent Residency in the Czech Republic
Who Qualifies for Permanent Residency in the Czech Republic?
Conditions for Czech Permanent Residency
Who can apply for Czech Permanent Residency?
- If the foreign national has lived in another EU country holding a Blue Card prior to living 2 years in the Czech Republic; or
- If the foreign national qualifies for specific exceptions.
Other exceptions for Czech permanent residence application are as follows.
- The application is for a refugee’s child under the age of 18 (and has not applied for refugee status).
- It is the application of a former Czech citizen.
How to count time towards Czech permanent residence
- There was a long-term residence permit granted to the foreigner based on request under paragraph 87f(5) after the termination of temporary residence of a family member of an EU citizen. Or, under the circumstance that:
- The foreigner applied for a residence permit during periods over the course of departure due to the processing of a temporary residence of a family member of an EU citizen.
- The foreigner has held a long-term visa for the purpose of study (D/VC/24 or D/VC/23). Or, if:
- There has been a period of time the applicant was outside of the Czech Republic for more than 310 days. (Note: This does not apply to foreign nationals who were pregnant or were experiencing complications due to health issues.)
Counting time with a period of absence in the Czech Republic
What time is not counted towards continuous residence?
- There has been a transfer of the foreigner in the territory by a foreign employer, foreign legal entity, or foreign individual.
- Residence of the foreigner in the territory has been granted for the purpose of seasonal work, or for meeting the needs of a Czech individual. This includes accommodation, spending, educational and social needs (such as au pairs).
- The foreigner has been imprisoned, interrupting their period of continuous stay in the territory. This time is interrupted until the foreigner’s release from prison.
How to file for Czech permanent residency
- Long-term visa;
- A long-term residence permit, or
- Document-based on residence according to S.I.no 325 of 1999* or S.I. no 221 of 2003, or
- During the period for departure due to termination of temporary residence of a family member of an EU citizen. In this case, the EU citizen must have had 5 years continuous stay in the Czech Republic.
Requirements and what to submit with the application
Who does not need to pass the Czech language exam?
- Children under 15 years of age;
- Permanent resident applicants who have continuously studied at a Czech institution in the last 20 years, or with a minimum 1 year of Czech language at Charles University or through a Czech Language School;
- Those who can prove Czech language A2 ability through an equivalent test at a Czech Language School;
- EU Citizens and non-EU family members;
- People with disabilities;
- Anybody over 60 years of age.
Czech temporary residence vs permanent residence
- Permanent residents can apply for a loan or mortgage through a Czech bank.
- They have free access to the labor market (no need for an employee card or a blue card).
- Individuals can start their own business.
- There is access to social support for certain life situations (unemployment), and access to a pension from retirement.
Reasons for rejection of application
- State Security reasons;
- Falsified documents;
- Disruption of Public Order;
- Falsified or incorrect information during the interview process;
- The applicant doesn’t meet conditions for long-term stays;
- Active deportation to another country;
Reasons for cancellation of permanent residency
- Obtaining Czech Citizenship;
- Getting deported;
- Conviction of a crime for more than 3 years, or;
- The foreigner has been imprisoned for 3 years continuously.
Have questions or need help applying for permanent residency?
Let Pexpats handle everything!
Why not make your life easier? Pexpats handles anything and everything expats need: consultation services, fulfilling appointments, filing applications, visiting official offices and much more. Simply book a spot with one of our professional advisors to get started today.