selected blog image

Employee card

What is an Employee card?

An Employee card is a type of long-term residence permit for the purpose of employment. It encompasses all types of employment and it allows foreigners to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 3 months. It is a biometric-style card and it is valid for as long as the employment contract lasts, with a maximum validity of 2 years (can be renewed).

In most cases, however, the job position has to be approved by the Department of Asylum and Migration Policy at the Ministry of Interior and has to be included in the central registry of job vacancies available to the Employee card holders.

Who can apply for the Employee card?

You can apply for the Employee card if you are a third-country national and not a family member of the citizen of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland (or you have not applied for a temporary residency of the family member of the citizen of the mentioned countries).

Where can I apply?

You can apply at the:

At the embassy in the country of origin, however, make sure to reserve a date in advance; some countries may even have a limited number of Employee cards available.
  1. Citizens from a country that is on the list here: ( can make an appointment and apply for the EC at a Czech embassy in any EU country (for example in Vienna, Dresden, Budapest, Brussels, Madrid…)
  2. Department of the Asylum and Migration Policy at the Ministry of Interior. (If you reside in the Czech Republic on the basis of a visa for a residency over 90 days or on the basis of permission for a residency on a different basis.
No matter where you are applying for, please make sure all your documents are translated into Czech language and some of the translated documents will most likely require a legalisation and an apostille.

What do I need to apply?

  • A filled out application form
  • Personal document (passport)
  • A confirmation of an accomodation in the Czech republic for the next 2 years (tenancy contract, ownership deed or a proof of accommodation from your landlord)
  • 2 ID sized photographs
Sometimes you may be asked to also provide:
  • An extract from your Criminal record
  • A nostrification of your education
  • A confirmation from a general practitioner that you do not suffer from a serious ilness
Even though you man not be asked to provide these, it is best if you have them ready just in case. Please remember all these documents cannot be older than 180 days.

With some exceptions, for the Employee card you also have to:
  • find an employment at a position that is listed in the Central register of the vacancies available for the holders of the Employee Card (the list can be found here: (
  • have an employment contract
  • have a monthly wage that at least reaches the monthly minimum wage in the Czech Republic
  • work at least 15 hours per week
  • prove your qualification by presenting a proof of education (only when asked to by the Ministry)

How long will it take?

Issuing the Employee card can last 60 (in some difficult cases 90) days. You can start working from the day the Ministry of Interior confirms that you fulfilled all your obligation for the issue of the Employee card.

How much does it cost?

If you apply for the Employee card at an embassy, the fee is 5000 CZK (or the equivalent in the given country).

What is the process like?

Once your application is accepted, you will be issued a 90 day visa to be able to come into the Czech Republic. In the first 3 days, you need to visit the Asylum and migration office at the Ministry of Interior to give your biometric details. In this moment, you will be given permission to start working and your employer will need to give you a confirmation of the fact that you started working.

Other conditions

The minimum gross salary should be 17 200 CZK per month.
Minimum working hours should be 15 hours per week.
Job vacancies should be valid for at least 30 days for foreigners that don't have free access to the Labour market.

What If i need to change my job?

If you plan on changing your employment on the Employee card, you need to announce this change to the Ministry of Interior. There is a form you need to fill in and you also need to provide all necessary additional documents such as the proof of the new employment etc. It needs to be announced at least 30 days prior to the planned change and you cannot start working at the new job until your application gets approved.
Do you need help with arranging your Employee Card? We can help you with the entire process. Please click here ( to learn more about this service.

Additionally, if you already found employment, but it is not on the list of visa-sponsored employment, we can also contact your employer and arrange a solution for you for an extra fee.

3 days registration rule for biometric cards after the arrival was extended to 30 days after the last immigration law update starting from 1.7.2023.

Need assistance with getting your employee card?

Why not make your life easier? Pexpats handles anything and everything expats need: consultation services, fulfilling appointments, filing applications, visiting official offices and much more. Simply book a spot with one of our professional advisors to get started today.

Get assistance

Get in Touch

Please fill the form as accurate as possible, our team is ready to help you make your stay in the Czech Republic a breeze!

Select Your
Citizenship Status
PraguePexpats logo

google stars

“Take charge of your life and time. Use them!”

google stars

“Highly worth the money”

google stars

“I’d call it: Making complicated things easy”

google stars
google stars
google stars
google stars



Our client testimonials speak for themselves, with their success stories the driving force behind our vision of Pexpats.Scan the long list of satisfied clients ahead to see how Pexpats’ can assist.


The proof is in the stars! Join countless success stories of expats who we’ve helped to accurately and quickly file taxes, or to resolve complex legal issues.

  • proof
  • proof
  • proof
  • proof
  • proof

Got Lost?

Pexpats is here today and ready to ease you into life abroad. Find immediate assistance for your expat needs, from freelancing to reporting taxes and legal affairs.

Your own positive testimonial could soon grace our review page!